jueves, 21 de febrero de 2013

Music is great

This is another video in our This is Britain series, which was orginally launched to promote Britain around the world before the 2012 Olympics.

Renowned artists such as Florence from Florence & The Machine, Jessie J, Emeli Sandé, Will i am, Nicole Sherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls, Huey Morgan from the Fun Lovin' Criminals, & Rizzle Kicks, all share their insights as to why music in Britain is great.

Self-study activity:
This is not an easy video by any means, so intermediate students can try a general activity in which they can simple identify the gist, the main ideas, of what is being said.

Watch the video and number the topics in the order they are mentioned. You can read the transcript below.


Size of the UK
I first visited the UK in 1998
There are several British artists in everybody’s favourites
British artists are honest
British audiences love real, authentic music
It’s more important to be successful in the UK than in America in the music business
New artists have a lot of opportunities in the UK




Key:

1 Size of the UK
2 There are several British artists in everybody’s favourites
3 I first visited the UK in 1998
4 British people love real, authentic music
5 British artists are honest
6 New artists have a lot of opportunities in the UK
7 It’s more important to be successful in the UK than in America in the music business


We are a sort of nation of self poets and playwrights and in song it kind of that tradition continues.
The UK is smaller than Texas so we have to be original. Any artist that exists has to be themselves, they can’t be a version of three other, four other people that exist because the UK would sniff you out straightaway.
If you ask anyone of their favourite ten artists you are guaranteed there’s going to be a lot of Brits there.
The Clash, Led Zeppelin, The Stones…
Sir Mike Jagger
Plan B to Adele
When I was a kid I would listen to nothing but British music.
I remember the first time I came to the UK like it was 1998, to me that was like ahhh! you made it!
For me the greatest thing about Great Britain is the British crowds. I just love how open-minded the audience is here and how hungry they are for new music, for original music, for authentic music.
We want to be honest and tell the truth and talk about love, and hate. I think we are afraid to let down our boundaries and let people in. I mean I’m someone that definitely wears my heart on my sleeve but I think that’s because the British public want it.
When we got here it was one of those places that really appreciates music and doesn’t try to put it in boxes.
And there was a lot of opportunities for new artists to play music. I grew up in London. There’s always a gig going on, there is always some kind squat virtue, a gig in a club or a pub.
This is such a diverse place. It’s so easy to be creative.
A place really connected to expressing yourself.
For me especially that’s kind of how it works. I’m always incapable of saying how I feel unless it is put in song.
Artists that succeed in the UK and go global are people that have to be so in tune in what they are and who they are.
It’s dope to be big in America, but damned if you’re big in the UK it actually means that you have a career that can travel.
It is one of those places that I kind of consider home. You know, they say home is where the heart is.