lunes, 25 de agosto de 2014

Listening test: My first job

You are going to hear some people talking about their first job. Match speakers 1−6 with descriptions A−H. There are two descriptions you don’t need to use. You will hear the recording twice.





Extract
1
2
3
4
5
6
Description





 

A     The speaker developed a liking for outdoor activities.
B     The speaker had to deal with difficult people.
C     The speaker has always worked in restaurant and cooking jobs.
D     The speaker worked with a female relative.
E     The speaker learnt what jobs she didn’t like.
F     The speaker met a very important person in her life.
G     The speaker mentions two jobs.
H    The speaker has always worked in the media world.

Extract 1 Betty White
Well, my first job was actually I was doing a, a, a guest shot on a talk show on television. It is when television first started. It was in New York. But when it first started in Los Angeles, I got a guest shot. And we did a little interview. And it taught me that whatever else I did for the rest of my life, I wanted to stay in that business. And I have. I am 90 and I am still in that business and loving it.

Extract 2 Darienne Page
My first job was at the Sports Authority in Laurel, Maryland, and I was a cashier for a year or so. And there I had the opportunity to work with my brother and I learned a lot about managing money and dealing with different personalities. And I really gained an appreciation for all types of sports. And for me it was really interesting, because I really learned to love fishing and camping. So now it has become one of my interests just because it is something that I picked up while I was there.

Extract 3 Hilda Solis
My very first job was as a recreational aid at my community center back home in Los Angeles County. I remember leading student activities and even delivering free lunches for kids in poor neighborhoods. I also worked in the school library; stacking and cataloging books, and helping my classmates select which ones to read. I remember feeling very important. Looking back, those were really my first steps in public service.

Extract 4 Julie Rodriguez
My first job was actually when I was 13 years old, and it was, I was technically a volunteer but I did get a pay check of five dollars a week that made me really proud and just gave me a sense of kind of responsibility at a good age. I worked with my cousin. And we were actually responsible for answering phone calls for people that were interested in more information about the impact that pesticides was having on farm workers and farm worker children.
And so we would send them out a little information video and for me it was again the sense of responsibility, but also I think I got a little excited and felt like I was in charge. And would try to boss my cousin around all of the time which she didn't really like since we were the same age, but she was much taller than me. And so everyone thought that she was obviously older than I was.

Extract 5 Rosye Cloud
My first job was actually in my freshman year of high school. I started working in a doctor's office on weekends managing weekend patient flow. And I remember it perfectly because I remember it taught me how to be organized, make sure things ran on time, make sure records were maintained. It also really taught me a lot about how to deal with people -- people that were in pain, people that were nervous and suffering, and it gave me an appreciation of how important that first contact was. And so, I remember that that was a very important experience for me. And it's something that I've remembered since then.
It also taught me how to manage strong egos --doctors have very strong personalities and are definitely out to make sure they take care of the patients, so wanting to manage and understand their needs and working together in a collaborative space that sometimes could be very stressful. So I remember that very, very well.

Extract 6 Cris Comerford
My very first job, you might want to know, is that, you know, back in Chicago, when my family moved here from Manila in 1983, my first job was a salad bar girl. And at that time when I was working it wasn't one of those glamorous job or anything that, you know, you might really aspire for, but being a culinary laureate now and looking black I've learn so many things from that very first job.
I've learned how to organize myself. I've learned how to work with other people and I've learned to really love what I do. So even though like you know at the time being it might not seem very important, every job is important.
You know, like as a chef right now I rely on this salad bar girl, really take care of my needs, take care of everything that I need to have to ensure that, you know, an event that I have or a menu that I have worked very nicely. So you know, looking back it was a very great experience for me.


Key:
1H 2A 3G 4D 5B 6 C