- On what occasions do people give speeches in your country?
- What's the best speech you've ever heard?
- What makes a good speech?
- Have you ever given a speech or a presentation? If so, how did you feel?
- What advice would you give to someone who had to make a speech or a presentation?
- Why is it that some people are terrified of speaking in public? How can they overcome their fears?
- Have you seen the film The King's Speech? What is it about? To what extent do you sympathize with the main character?
- Imagine you have to do one of the following activities. Rank them from the one you would be most willing to do (1) to the least (6). Then compare lists with your friends and explain your choices: sing in a karaoke bar; give a presentation in English to the class; appear on a TV programme as an expert member of a panel; play a role in an amateur stage play; give a radio interview about a recent achievement in your professional area; give a guided tour of your school or your place of work to the president of your country.
miércoles, 29 de octubre de 2014
Talking point: Public speaking
This week's talking point is speaking in public. Before getting together with the members of your conversation group, go over the questions below, so that ideas can flow more easily when you meet up with your friends and you can work out vocabulary problems beforehand.