lunes, 23 de abril de 2012

Kate Middleton's First Public Speech

A few weeks ago the Duchess of Cambridge made her first public speech since the royal wedding at the East Anglia Children's Hospice in Ipswich.

Self-study activity:
Watch Kate Middleton's speech and complete the blanks in the transcript with the missing words. The activity is suitable for Básico 2 students.



First of all, I’d like to say thank you. Thank you for not only accepting me as your (1) ... but thank you also for inviting me here today.
You have all made me feel so (2) ... and I feel hugely honoured to be here to see this wonderful centre. I am only sorry that William (3) ... be here today; he would love it here.
A view of his that I share is that through team work so much can be (4) ... . What you have all (4) ... is extraordinary. You as a community have built the Treehouse; a group of people who have made every effort to (5) ... and help each other.
When I first visited the (6) ... in Milton, I had a pre-conceived idea as to what to expect. Far from being a clinical, depressing place for sick children, it was a home. Most importantly, it was a family home, a happy place of stability, (5) ... and care. It was a place of (7) ... .
Today, I have seen again that the Treehouse is all about family and (7) ... . For many, this is a home from home — a lifeline enabling families to live as normally as possible during a very precious period of time.
What you do is inspirational, it is a shining example of the (5) ... and the care that is delivered, not just here, but in the children’s (6) ... movement at large, up and down the country.
The feelings you inspire, feelings of love and of (8) ... , offer a chance to families to live a life they never thought could be possible.
So thank you again for inviting me here today. I feel enormously (9) ... to be part of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices and to see the wonderful life-changing work that you do. Thank you.

Key:
1 patron 2 welcome 3 can’t 4 achieved 5 support 6 hospice 7 fun 8 hope 9 proud