domingo, 22 de abril de 2012

Tater Hill

I came across Tater Hill through Rob Whyte's ESL Writing. As a matter of fact, the activity is entirely Rob's, I've just added the transcript.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and answer the questions below:



1. What did the girl wish for?
2. What is grandmother doing?
3. Where will the box go?
4. What does the girl want to keep?
5. Did she keep it?
6. What was the girl’s hair color?
7. Why did she hold a large rock?
8. What did she see on the hill?
9. Why is the girl sad?
10. What is Tater Hill?
11. Summarize the story.

You can read the transcript below, where you will find the answers to the questions:

A month. I wished and wished the baby would be a girl. A little sister. Maybe I shouldn’t have wished so hard. A boy might’ve lived.
It’ll be easier for your mama if these are gone when she gets home.
The clothes were washed and ironed, ready for a new baby, but now grandma was packing them up for another family. It wasn’t fair.
What about the yellow blanket I made. Can’t we keep that?
I couldn’t touch the blanket and not think of the tiny amount of Mary Kate on the church graveyard.
As long as I was running I didn’t have to think about Mary Kate and how grandpa said she had red hair just like mine. I didn’t want to think. The rocks felt good in my hands. The harder I threw the more the lump on the back of my throat melted. Finally it was gone. Now I imagine the rock was a baby. It felt an empty hole inside me.
Who was that in the woods? I stared at the disappearing figure until the woman blended in with the shifting shadows. I wonder if I’ve really seen anyone at all.