viernes, 22 de junio de 2012

Homelessness

The topic of homelessness is touched on in unit 5 of module 8 in the That's English! programme, so the video on this post fits in perfectly with that unit.

I first saw this Homeless video on Rob Whyte's excellent ESLWriting. As a matter of fact, you can find a listening activity there.

However, I think that the level of difficulty is a bit high for intermediate students to understand it fully, which made me think that I should provide the transcript if I wanted students to make something out of it.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and complete the blanks in the transcript with the missing words.



I served in the (1)...  . I’d been working (2) ... years. Right up to my retirement I hurt my (3) ...  . Yeah, I lost my job and next thing I knew I was in the street, you know? (4) ... .

I’m sorry, man.

Hurts to live in this country, shouldn’t have to live like that.

It could happen to anybody. When you are in a situation like this you don’t think nobody (5) ... . It’s great to have somebody care about you. People that (6) ... me was good enough. They helped me a whole lot.

I was off the street and now I have a nice (7) ... place of my own. There’s a whole lot of people out there need help. A lot of them don’t even  know where to go. I am a lucky one. I am lucky.

Key:
1 military 2 thirty-five 3 leg 4 Homeless 5 care 6 helped 7 clean