jueves, 4 de agosto de 2016

Singer Kelis opens pop-up restaurant in London

Singer Kelis has opened up her own restaurant with the founders of Le Bun in London.

Self-study activity:
Watch the video and answer the questions below.



1 Where does Kelis get inspiration for her cooking?
2 What does 'Friday' refer to?
3 What does 'Monday' refer to?
4 What's the name of the music festival in Austin?
5 What's the title of her cook book?
6 What will Kellis be doing this summer?

We are chefs and we are cooking.
Yeah.
Her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard… as does the rest of her culinary skills apparently. Singer Kelis has opened her very own restaurant - a collaborative pop-up in London. She’s teamed up with street food sensation Le Bun and his co-founders, having met them at Standon Festival. You'd be forgiven for thinking she created an establishment that just sells dairy-based treats, but after studying at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu culinary school she is serving up a wide range of foods inspired by her travels around the world.  Kelis explains how she decided to hone her skills.
I was working on getting out of a label deal that I was on for a very long time and finally when I got the call that said that I was released I… it was the first time in my life that I had my own time, really, and that I was able to make my own schedule. I was sitting in my kitchen and I called Le Cordon Bleu and they were… it was a Friday, and they were like our next session starts Monday morning and I was like, I’m in! I signed up and I started literally that Monday like full time in school.
Wondering whether she has gotten herself in too deep?  It's not her first time getting bossy around the kitchen. Her first attempt with street food resulted in her own food truck at SXSW music festival in Austin, Texas in 2014. She has since gone on to release her own Bounty & Full sauce range and hugely successful cook book 'My Life on a Plate'.
For now, Kelis says she is happy to make both music and food. The singer has not given up on her day job and will be playing at a number of UK festivals this summer. If you want to taste her culinary creations there is a small window. The pop up will be open July 6th, 7th, 13th and 14th. She won’t teach you, but she´ll have to charge.
You know what, you’ll just have to wait and see.
Key:
1 travels around the world 
2 the day when she called Le Bon
3 the day when the course started
4 SXSW 
5 My name on a plate
6 playing at a number of UK festivals