jueves, 30 de septiembre de 2010

Alone, lonely, solitary, on my own, by myself

The word solo is a difficult one to translate into English for many Spanish speakers. We have several options at hand.

Alone  (never used before a noun) = without other people around you. It is the general word. It is neither good nor bad.
"When I came into the class, the teacher was alone."

Lonely = sad because you are alone and feel that nobody loves you.
"Ann hated her lonely weekends in that city."

On my own, on your own, etc.; by myself, by yourself, etc. = without anyone's help or supervision, independently.
"He built the house on his own / by himself."

Solitary (only used before a noun) = doing something without anyone else with you, often by choice.
"She enjoys her daily solitary walks."

Self-study activity:
Complete the gaps in the sentences with the corresponding word.

1. Do you like spending time ... ?
2. Fishing and walking are the two pleasures of the ... life that he enjoys.
3. Don't you feel ... being on your own all day?
4. I can manage ... now, thanks for your help.
5. She doesn't like travelling ...

Key:
1. alone   2. solitary   3. lonely   4. on my own   5. alone

No hay comentarios: