lunes, 5 de marzo de 2012

Writing workshop 22: A letter of advice

When we have personal problems, we may want to discuss them with several people: members of our family, friends, teachers, work colleagues, professional counsellors, experts on radio or TV programmes, an agony aunt in a magazine or newspaper.

Depending on the person we are giving advice to, the register will be more formal or informal.

This is one of the key aspects we must bear in mind when we write a letter of advice:
Check Writing Workshop 17 to be reminded of key aspects of informal letters/emails.
Check Writing Workshop 18 to be reminded of key aspects of formal letters/emails.

This is a typical task we may have to do when writing a letter of advice:
You work as an agony aunt in a local newspaper and have received the letter below from a reader. Write a reply letter in 160-180 words giving Jack advice. Do not write any postal addresses.
"I feel really lonely and unhappy because I’m finding it impossible to make friends. When I go to parties, I always end up by myself.
I have had friends –some quite good ones- but recently I seem to have been rather unlucky. People seem to like me at first, but after a while they lose interest. They stop phoning and always seem to have excuses for not seeing me.
I thought things would improve as I got older, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I’m 34 years old and I live on my own.
Thank you in advance for your attention.
Regards,
Jack"

A typical layout in this kind of letter would be:
Paragraph 1: Thanks for letter / express understanding of the problem
Paragraph 2/3: Suggestions + reasons
Paragraph 4: Closing remarks

In addition to polite formulas, you will have to include a number of structures to give advice:

Formal structures to give advice:
My suggestion is / would be to ...
You should/ought to ...
If I were in your position, I would ...
I strongly recommend that…
I would advise you to…

Informal structures to give advice:
What I'd suggest is that you ...
If I were you, I'd ...
If I were in your shoes, I’d ...
Why don't you ...?
How about ...?
You could / might even ...
The best advice I can give you is…

Opening remarks
I am writing in reply to you letter asking for advice about… (formal)
I just got your letter and was really sorry to hear about your problem. (informal)

Closing remarks
I hope this will be of help. (formal)
I would very much like to know if this was helpful. (formal)
Hope this has helped. (informal)
Let me know what happens. (informal)

As with any type of writing task, always remember
  • Brainstorm for ideas before you start writing and choose those which can best help you to do the task well and show your grasp of English.
  • Plan the paragraph layout.
  • Write the first draft of your letter.
  • Write the final version of your letter.