lunes, 12 de marzo de 2012

Writing Workshop 23: Asking for advice

In Writing Worshop 22 we focused on giving advice. A variation of this kind of task is the letter in which we have to ask for advice about a (real or imaginary) problem we may have.

We may address the letter to a friend or relative (informal letter) or to an expert like an agony aunt in the advice column of a magazine (formal letter).

Typical tasks of letters asking for advice would be:
Your parents will not let you go on holiday as they want you to study for exams. Write a letter to a friend asking for his/her advice on this matter.

You feel that you and your mother cannot agree on anything. Write a letter to a problem page asking for advice.

The typical layout for this letter would be:
Paragraph 1: Reason(s) for writing
Paragraphs 2/3: Description of problem(s)
Paragraph 4: Closing remarks

Opening remarks
I am writing to ask if you could help me with… (formal).
I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice about (formal).
I wonder if you could help me with a problem (formal).

I am writing to ask for your advice (informal).
I’ve got a problem and I need your advice (informal)


Closing remarks
I look forward to receiving your advice (formal).
I would appreciate it if you could give your advise as soon as possible (formal).
Please let me know what you think I should do (informal).
Please tell me what to do (informal).