Go over the crimes in the wordle below. Do you know what each of the crime entails? Have you heard recent news about some of the crimes? Can you think of some other crimes?
- Are there any areas of your city considered dangerous?
- What steps do you personally take to prevent crime?
- Do you think there is less crime now than in the past?
- Have the times we are living in brought new crimes?
- Are the laws in your country tough with criminals?
- Is capital punishment justified with some crimes?
- How can society deal with gender violence and bullying?
- Some people are in favour of punishing criminals, some others of rehabilitating them, while others prioritise restorative justice, by which criminals play a part in repairing the harm they have done. What's your take?
- What alternatives to prison can you think of?
We have published a number of crime-related videos on this blog. We have selected two for today's talking point. Watch the two videos and in your conversation group decide what punishment the criminals should get. You can click on the link of each video for a full transcript and a listening activity.
Bribe who survived rape