lunes, 14 de diciembre de 2015

Listening test: Shopping

In this week's listening test we are going to pracise the heading-matching kind of task.

Listen to six people talking about shopping and what they enjoy and dislike about shopping and match the headings A-H below with the corresponding speaker. There are two headings you do not need to use.



A - This speaker doesn’t enjoy shopping with some specific company.
B - This speaker doesn’t like doing jobs in the house.
C - This speaker doesn’t like shopping on his/her own.
D - This speaker doesn't like the money-related side to shopping.
E - This speaker is crazy about shopping for just one item.
F - This speaker spends a fortune when shopping.
G - This speaker spends the least possible time shopping.
H - This speaker uses his/her nose when shopping for an item he/she likes.

photo: elllo.org


1
Something I like shopping for? I like shopping for everything. I like shopping for clothes. I like shopping for food. I like shopping for presents. Everything. Maybe the one exception would be shopping for DIY things: things like pliers and gardening tools and wallpaper. I'm not really interested in things like that but that's the exception. Other than that, everything.

2
What do I like shopping for? I like shopping for food, going to the supermarket looking at -- especially a nice good supermarket and looking at all the weird and cool and wacky food. That's pretty fun. What I don't like shopping for is everything else. I'm not really a big shopping fan. I like to buy as quickly as possible and get out as quickly as possible and that's it.

3
I don't really enjoy shopping at all but I guess if I have to go shopping, the one type of shopping I enjoy is bread shopping. I really enjoy looking for really good bread and smelling the bread in the bread shop, but usually I don't, I'm not a big fan of shopping anyway.

4
I enjoy shopping for food because I like eating and I do not enjoy shopping for cosmetic stuff like for example shampoo - girls stuff. I do not like shopping with girls because they tend to take long and look at every item at least ten seconds but I enjoy shopping for food for myself.

5
The thing I most enjoy shopping for is shoes. I could shop and shop and never get tired of them. The last time I visited Ireland. I bought five pairs of shoes in three days. I just love them.

6
I like shopping for clothing. It's a lot of fun finding new shirts or new jeans to put on, trying out new outfits that I normally wouldn't wear. The only thing I dislike about it are the prices of course, but I really have a good time going out and looking for things - that hunter-gatherer instinct in me.

KEY:
1B 2G 3H 4A 5E 6D