What would you regard as a 'good job'?
How easy is it for people to find a good job these days?
Do you know anyone with a good job?
Which sector do you or people in your family work in?
Which sectors have the best employment conditions?
Which have the worst?
Discuss the employment terms and conditions below.
1 What type of job would each be suitable or unsuitable for?
2 What advantages would there be for the employer/employee?
3 Which do you think are the three most motivating ideas?
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- six-month sabbaticals
- four 'duvet days' -four days a year when the employee can miss work without giving a reason
- unlimited holidays (provided they don't impact on the business)
- three-monthly performance review
- performance-related pay
- zero hours contract (contracts where the hours are decided week by week)
- equal paternity and maternity leave
- equal pay for 16-year-olds and older new employees
- free sports facilities at the workplace
- unlimited free healthy snacks and drinks
To illustrate the topic, watch entrepreneur James Caan providing his top tips for work, emphasising the importance of ‘soft skills’ such as communication, time management, and teamwork.