Watch this History Channel video about the history of Halloween and say whether the statements 1-7 below are true or false.
1. Tribes of Celtic farmers believed there was one day a year when evil spirits could rise from their graves and walk amongst the living.
2. Druid priests tried to predict whether their villages would survive the summer.
3. Ordinary Celts lit great candles and disguised themselves to repel and confuse the spirits.
4. Pope Gregory IV established “All Hallows’ day”, a day honouring all saints known and unknown on November 1st.
5. In the mid 19th century a pumpkin famine drove two million starving Irish to America.
6. The origins of trick or treating are quite clear.
7. Halloween is one of the most profitable holidays on the calendar, earning retailers billions of dollars.
You can read the transcript here.
You can also look up the following Halloween resources on this blog:
- Listening: The origins of Halloween.
- Slideshow: Halloween, a holiday in October.
- How to prepare a holiday party.
1T 2F 3F 4F 5F 6F 7T
H/T to Elena Perez for the activity.